Hi, I’m Ann Harper
Accredited Mental Health Social Worker
B. Soc. Wk, MSWAP, GC Gerontology
I am one of the founders here at The Counselling Spot Brisbane. People who have worked with me often describe me as warm, caring and very practical. I have a very down to earth attitude and a sense of humour. Clients often report that they find me very approachable and are surprised by how easy it is to open up and talk at The Counselling Spot.
My diverse life experiences have given me optimism about people’s capacity to heal. I have a passion for working with people of all sorts of backgrounds and mental health challenges including those who have experienced trauma. Clients come to me with a range of struggles relating to mental health, grief and loss, relationships, parenting, life direction, separation or divorce etc. I believe in people’s natural emotional strength and adaptability. Given the right support, you can move beyond your past and get more of what you want for your life. I’m here to walk with you on this journey.
We are all shaped by our different backgrounds, genetics and life experiences. I have a genuine respect and curiosity for the person in all their uniqueness and diversity – bringing a broad range of skills and the capacity to be flexible to your unique needs.
In relation to my work with couples, my approach is gentle, caring and focused on helping you deepen understanding, connection and intimacy. I believe that one of the first goals for the therapy room is to ensure your emotional safety. This is especially important when working with couples. From there all sorts of growth is possible!
- Bachelor of Social Work (UQ)
- Master of Social Welfare Administration and Planning (UQ)
- Graduate Certificate in Gerontology (Charles Sturt University)
- Accredited Brainspotting Practitioner
- Internal Family Systems Practitioner (Levels 1 and 2 plus additional master classes)
- IFS for couples training (IFIO)
- Extensive Trauma training (including Janina Fisher, Bessel Van der Kolk, Leah Giarratano)
- Imago Couples Counselling training (1 and 2)
- Gottman Method Couples Counselling (1 and 2)
- Relationship Institute Couples Counselling program (1 year program)
- Certificate in working with neurodiverse couples
- Certificate in modern neuroscience-based approaches to anxiety